When to use:
- Use to track student behaviors or skills in a busy classroom environment.
- Use for behaviors that happen throughout the day.
- Good for taking many kinds of data.
- Use to color code data to aid with organization.
How to use:
- Place pads of sticky notes with writing utensils around the room. Quickly grab a pad and writing utensil any time you need to record data.
- Each time you observe the behavior, make a mark on your sticky note.
- At the end of the observation, during a planning period, or at the end of the day simply peel the note off and place it on the student’s data collection sheet or transfer your data directly onto the data collection sheet.
Tip: Sticky notes can be peeled off and stuck to different surfaces multiple times. This means they can be applied to clipboards or folders and travel with you as you transition along with your student.
- Assign different colors to each of your students. Keep a number of each colored sticky note on clipboards around the room or that staff can carry. This may increase student confidentiality and aid in organization.